Jul 12, 2006

The Soundtrack to my Life



Sounds that scare me:

1. A loud thump and then crying in the middle of the night
2. A drawer opening in the kitchen when I know the grownups aren't there
3. Little feet in the kitchen followed by crying
4. (as I come up the stairs) Little running feet rushing to meet me saying, "Mommy I didn't . . ." (because she obviously did)
5. A loud crash followed by absolute silence.

This parenting thing is scary sometimes. You can't turn your back for a minute. You worry about the the things she will break, about the mischeif she will get into. You worry that she will team up with the gremlins that mess up your house and then you may never recover from the aftermath. You worry about all the sounds you hear and then you worry when you don't.

I can't tell you the number of times I have watched an intense movie in the night and longed to go hold her in my arms or just to go look at her and make sure she was safe and okay and sleeping in her bed.

Sounds that make me smile:
1. Giggles as she ducks daddy's ticklebombers
2. Loud thumping footsteps and growling of the cutest "monster" you have ever heard
3. Singing coming from her room in the middle of the night.
4. The sound of her voice as she sings and plays along with Dora the Explorer
5. (when she is about to get in trouble) "Don't worry mommy, I can make it better" followed by a wrapping her arms around my middle in a hug.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

My son used to sing himself to sleep...it was one of the sweetest things I have ever heard!

Anonymous said...

This is so sweet. We had one of those thumps last night. But, my kids are big now. No screaming or yelling was heard after, so it seems thinks are good.

Anonymous said...

one time we're driving along listening to a CD and I hear somthing...so I turn down the stereo a bit...
there in the back seat is my little bug, about 5 at the time, singing "it's just what I do when I can't get no lovin' and lately I ain't gettin' no lovin' at all...."

best sound on earth.

Great post.

Anonymous said...

Wonderful post. Every once in awhile my little one will wake up in the middle of the night and I'll here her talking or singing to her stuffed animals and it's just soooo adorable...makes me smile :)

Anonymous said...

Love it!

Anonymous said...

#'s 2 & 5 scare me to. I just know that trouble (or at least a big mess for me to clean up) is following these 2 sounds.

Twitter