Jul 19, 2006

My Child has been Abducted By Aliens

What were you doing yesterday at around about 4pm? In our house we were having a meltdown of major proportions. My 4 year old Little Princess started screaming at me for no particular reason that I could figure out, (she said she didn't want to look at her or talk to her!?!) I did our normal things to calm her down and they didn't work. I eventually tried shock therapy to break her out of her hysteria and then just as suddenly as she started it was over. (no I didn't electrocute her . . . I got her wet. I stood her in the shower, clothes still on, screaming hysterically, and then I turned it on for about 1/2 a second. See . . . shock therapy.) And then she was off singing and playing and I was left to sit in the ashes and wonder what the heck happened?

Nowhere in my mommy handbook did it say that even if you have a wonderful child who is quiet and happy and pleasant all of the time that she will on occasions be taken over by some strange angry screaming alien for no particular reason. I don't know what to do with this type of behavior.

And, I can't just get over it in the blink of an eye. When I have just been battling a screaming alien child, I can't turn around and be a happy, pleasant mommy who will now go and bake cookies and act like nothing is wrong. After it is over, I need time to sulk. That is when I sit and cry and wonder what I am doing wrong as a mommy that taught my child it is okay to throw the devils own fit when it is just me and her but that when daddy comes home, you better be on your best behavior.

Oh well, I am off to ponder the workings of the universe, how dishes can possibly build up in the sink while I am sleeping at night, why the mailman insists on coming at a different time every day and how the heck my child can be acting like a teenager at four years old.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hmmm, sounds like she's testing you.

Anonymous said...

For some reason, I'm having trouble commenting on blogger today. I LOVE your banner. Your site looks so neat! I read your entry about your daughter throwing a fit. I KNOW EXACTLY what you're talking about. My daughter started this at 4 and is now 5 and still does it ocassionally. Nothing works to snap her out of it except for time. I usually put her in her room and tell her when she's done, to come out. It's like nothing ever happened after, but it always stresses me out beyond belief.

Shock therapy was a good idea!

Thanks for visiting Birth Stories-I hope you'll come back soon. The next story is up.

Black Belt Mama
http://www.blackbeltmama.typepad.com
http://www.blackbeltmama.typepad.com/birthstory

Anonymous said...

I dunno, there are days when I feel like doing that...lol! I think it's normal for kids to have times when they just really need to release tension, and since they don't really know a lot of other coping mechanisms, screaming seems to be what they come up with. But you dealt with it, she calmed down, and life goes on. Until the next time ;)

Twitter