Sep 25, 2005

Songs of my life

A blog I read the other day (http://www.mayedecember.blogspot.com/) talked about songs that were important to you. There are certain songs that mean a lot to me. Certain songs that touch me and that seem to come up again and again. When I was a young girl, my dad played a song, "To a Sleeping Beauty" for me. It was about how a young girl changes in the blink of an eye. The dad talks to his daughter and tells her how much he will miss her when she grows up and away from him. As a child, this song made me cry. The idea of the dad being so sad and alone broke my heart. I would wrap my arms around his neck and tell him I would always love him. As a mother, I again cry, but now I am watching my Sleeping Beauty grow up much too quickly and it still breaks my heart.

Here are the lyrics.

TO A SLEEPING BEAUTY
Recorded by Jimmy Dean
Written by L. Markes

Dear daughter, I tiptoed in your room tonight and I looked down at you smilin' in your sleep. You were so lovely my heart nearly broke;and I thought how much like Sleeping Beauty a little girl is. When I tuck you in at night I never know how old you'll be when you wake. One evening you crawl on your dad's lap and throw your arms around his neck,the next morning you might be much too grown up for that sort of thing.

You're so quickly approaching the awkward age, too young to drive the car and yet too old to be carried in the house half asleep on daddy's shoulder. I have a secret that I've never told you, Sleeping Beauty,you're going on a very exciting trip. You'll travel from yesterday all the way to tomorrow. It's a rapid journey and you'll travel light,leaving behind you - measles, mumps, freckles, bumps, bubble gum and me.

I promise not to feel too hurt when you discover that the world is more important than your daddy's lap. Yesterday you were blue jeans and pig tails,the neighborhood's best tree climber. Tomorrow you'll be blue organdy and pony tails and you'll view the world from a loftier perch - a pair of high heeled shoes. Yesterday you could mend a doll's broken leg with a hug; tomorrow you'll be able to break a young man's heart with a kiss.

Yesterday you could get lost one aisle away from me at a supermarket - now I have to worry about losing you down another aisle to some strange young man. You see, just at the point where you're growing pains stop, mine begins. Yesterday you were kind of a pain in the neck when you were around, tomorrow you'll be an ache in my heart when your not.

Tomorrow you'll lay aside your jump rope and tie up the telephone lines and that little boy that used to push you in the mud; well, he'll fight to sit out a dance with you. The clock is countin' the minutes for you and thesky upstairs is savin' its' brighest stars; - and the sun is waitin' with its' shiniest day.

Oh I, I can't expect you to live in a doll house forever. Sooner or later, the butterfly sheds it's cocoon and the smallest bird must try its wings. But when you grow up and out of my arms; when you finally get too big for my shirts, I'll still recall how you used to scatter dust and dolls and partially through ev'ry room in the house; but you spread sunshine too. The dust is settled, your mom picked up the dolls; - but the sunshine will always fill the corners of our hearts.

So, here I am talking in your sleep, because, well if you saw this look on my face, you'd laugh and if I spoke with this lump in my throat, I'd cry.Yea honey when I looked at you tonight you were a Sleeping Beauty. So, I tiptoed over and I kissed you - you didn't wake up, I knew you wouldn't. According to the legend only the handsome young prince can open your eyes and I'm just the father of the future bride.

So you sleep on pretty thing, tomorrow you'll wake and you'll be a young lady and you won't even realize that you've changed courses in the middle of a dream. But you might notice a little change in me; I'll look a little different somehow. A little sadder, a little wiser, but a whole lot richer. Tonight, I kissed a princess and I feel like a king.


And then there is the song that describes my relationship with Prince Charming, No Matter What by Boyzone. Our relationship started out against all odds. I broke my family's collective hearts in my choice. We had to fight hard. But the lyrics so clearly describe what it is we felt. It was the last song that played the first time we ever danced together. It was our wedding song. It still takes me back to the beginning of my time with Prince Charming and still brings me to tears.

Here are the lyrics:


Artist: Boyzone
Song: No Matter What Lyrics

Chorus:
No matter what they tell us
No matter what they do
No matter what they teach us
What we believe is true

No matter what they call us
However they attack
No matter where they take us
We'll find our own way back

I can't deny what I believe
I can't be what I'm not
I know I'll love forever
I know, no matter what

If only tears were laughter
If only night was day
If only prayers were answered
Then we would hear God say

Chorus
And I will keep you safe and strong
And shelter from the storm
No matter where it's barren
A dream is being born
No matter who they follow
No matter where they lead
No matter how they judge us
I'll be everyone you need
No matter if the sun don't shine
Or if the skies are blue
No matter what the end is
My life began with you

I can't deny what I believe
I can't be what I'm not
I know, I know
I know this love's forever


These two songs touched my life in a deep way. They describe my past and my present. I wonder what songs to come will describe the days that lie ahead. For now, I am enjoying my happily ever after with my Prince Charming who talks me down and of the tower and keeps me from throwing myself off when I have driven myself crazy with worry over things that I can't change and wouldn't if I could.

No comments:

Twitter