Sep 25, 2005

Farewell to my not quite glass slippers

I am afraid that I must bid a sad farewell to my not quite glass slippers. They were blue denim keds and in a way they suited my busy mom lifestyle so much better than any normal glass slipper. Really, even Cinderella couldn't keep them on running down one flight of stairs. I would like to see her drag a three year old to the library and 3 grocery stores with them killer things on!

But my keds were perfect and they served me well. On last minute trips to the grocery store, they were there. When trying lose weight meant that I walked like a crazy maniac was chasing me they were there (until I realized the only crazy person on the streets was me). When I embarked on a journey to a whole new city in a whole new province, they were there. When I went back to work for the first time since having my Little Princess, they were there.

They fit me perfectly, and the older they got, and the more worn out they looked, the better friends we became. They knew me. They knew that I always sit with my knees bent under my chair, pressing my toes to the ground. They knew that when I am excited I sometimes scuff my big toes on the sidewalk. They had no laces as they knew that when my knees were bad, laces make things difficult. They were comfortable. They were safe and I wore them with everything. I didn't care if they matched. They were my friends and good friends don't care about what other people think anyway.

When I wore holes in the big toe of my right shoe, I stayed loyal to my friends. You don't give up your friends at the first sign of trouble. And when a matching hole appeared on the other shoe, I sighed, knowing the end was near, but like a dog with a bone, I still steadfastly refused to part from my friends. But alas, tonight, my friends have had enough. They were good friends but alas, they have started to fall completely apart and such loyal friends deserve to be put out of their misery.

And so tonight, I must bid farewell to my not quite glass slippers.

Pic of my Not Quite Glass Slippers

No comments:

Twitter