Sep 5, 2006

Dear Daughter,

I want so much for you that sometimes it scares me that I may not be able to give it to you. I want you to be brave and strong but also kind and gentle. I want you to be happy and I want the whole world to love you and see you for the amazing, funny person I see when I look into your eyes.

You are as changing as the winds, and with each new face, I am awestruck once again by the wonder that is you.

I feel like I have been given this huge trust and I am afraid I won't be able to handle it properly. You are such a fragile, impressionable, moldable, stubborn, gutsy, brave, funny, intelligent little person, you can do anything, become anything you want to be.



I want to be the one who lights the stars to guide you on your way and I am afraid that in my nervousness,my anxiety, my need to do this right, I will hold you back in some way. I am afraid that one day when I am tired and frustrated and you have whined one too many times that you want chocolate pudding for breakfast, I will say or do some little thing wrong.

I hate to see you outside on the step sad because you are all alone, I hate to see someone give another little child loving attention while ignoring your excited little gaze. I want them all to love you. I want you to feel the sunshine of the world's approval.



I feel like I have this amazing treasure on the tips of my fingers and with one little stumble, I could break it.

So someday, when you are grown and you remember your childhood, I would like you to remember one thing most of all, above all things you were loved and accepted for who you are. I am proud of you now and always.

Love, Mommy

11 comments:

Anonymous said...

Beautiful post - love those photographs!

Anonymous said...

What a wonderful post! Beautiful letter and pics.

Anonymous said...

That is really nice..I hope you save that for her for her wedding day....Gorgeous!!

Anonymous said...

awwwwwwwww *wiping a tear*

Anonymous said...

That was lovely. =O)

Anonymous said...

Lovely Piece.
Just Beautiful

Anonymous said...

What a sweet tribute and a beautiful girl.

Anonymous said...

This is such a beautiful post. I had been here before and read this. It's really so sweet - and something I think every mother can relate too.

Lovely.

Kelly
Home of Pass the Torch Tuesday

Anonymous said...

How beautiful. It's something your daughter will cherish forever. Love the pictures, too!

Here via Carnival of Family Life but you know I would have stopped by anyway!

Anonymous said...

A treasure here! Very nice!

Thanks for visiting me!

Anonymous said...

That was so beautiful, and inspiring. I got teary!

Twitter