Sep 8, 2008

I need a new word


I am more than tired right now. I think there should be a new word for sleep-deprived moms. Something that in one word expresses the exhausted feeling of being behind on every aspect of your housework, not being caught up on anything but being too tired to do anything about it. Because lets face it, as a new mom, one word is the most you have the time and energy to think about.

Last night, Princess Mag-pie only woke up once, but it was after I was asleep for 3 hours and then she stay up for another 2 entire hours. She would not let me put her down, she would not settle, she was just over-tired and fussy. And then 2 hours later we were both up again while I tried to take care of her while getting Princess Belle off to school. I managed to get her off, but I have to admit that as she ran out the door at the last possible minute while the bus was waiting for her.

Yesterday evening, at one point, I had Princess Mag-pie being fussy and hungry, I had supper on the stove and I had Princess Belle up in her room creating havoc and getting in trouble and needing my attention. Eventually, I got frustrated. I thrust Princess Mag-pie into Prince Charming's arms and said, "I can't do it all. Feed your daughter while I take care of Princess Belle and make your supper.

And with all that said, I am still happy. Other than in the moment, I don't really mind the exhaustion, I wear it as a badge of pride. I have a new baby, I am supposed be tired and I am supposed to be grouchy at least some of the time. I am proud that in the middle of all this I am still managing to try to get the house under control as best I can. It is taking me three times as long, and I am always feeling behind, but I am trying.

Now I am off to fold laundry, drinking coffee and chewing on coffee beans.

6 comments:

Cory said...

I've missed SOO much while I've been away from blogging! The girls are darling, and I'm glad to see Princess Mag-pie and read that she is doing well.

Lisa @ Boondock Ramblings said...

Wow, hon'...you are really overwhelmed. See this has always been my worry about having another child...my mind almost explodes with one!

Hang in there and at least you can still see the positive in all the craziness!

Anonymous said...

It seems to me that I had an easier time keeping the house in order when the kids were younger... I'm sure it's because either a) I was younger and had more energy, or b) that house was about a 3rd of the size this one is... Maybe it's both? *lol*

(Like my excuses? ;) )

Anonymous said...

Hey...my husband was like yours as well...sat down and did little to nothing...until I got to the point where I almost burst with anger.
His excuse was that his mom did all the work at his house. That's when I kindly explained to him that his mom was a house wife and that his father was working. However, I work a full time job in Software Design and am not at home all day to tend to the house.
Now each Sunday we sit down and split the chores evenly down the middle. It works for us, however, I have no kids so I don't know if it would work for child raising.

Lazy Daisy said...

Congrats on your beautiful baby girl. Princess Belle is really growing. Being overwhelmed is just part of motherhood. Gotcha all prayed up. So glad to catch up with you again.

Anonymous said...

Girl, I could so totally cut and paste this post on my blog...only you'd have to add an extra kid in there, a THREE year old little BOY! Sheesh...I am so worn out. I know exactly how you feel. I hope it all passes soon for us both. *sigh*

Twitter