Feb 5, 2012

Sunday Stuff

For about 6 months, I posted on another blog.  This a post that was copied from that blog.  I used different names for the family.  Just so you know the names were as follows:

Prince Charming - Wandering Aengus
Princess Belle - Lilly
Princess Magpie - Rose
Princess Snifflefritz - Lotus
Little Prince - Reed


Wandering Aengus is carnivore of the biggest degree, motto is that it isn’t food unless something died.  But he is giving my plant based diet a try!  He willingly volunteered to try this meal plan but when it came time to actually eat, he grudgingly gave  it a shot.  And he is actually liking it!  Last night, I mixed leftover veggie chili with rice, beans, zucchini,  corn,  green onions and salsa.  Then I served it in vegan wraps with a little extra salsa, green onions, and some tofutti cream cheese (I added a little spicy hummus to mine).  He LOVED IT! He ate so much at supper, his belly hurt and then he proceeded to eat a  couple more over the course of the evening!  He said, you can’t feel deprived eating food like that.

For breakfast this morning I made oatmeal and added chopped apple, raisins, cinnamon and sugar.  For the girls, I topped it with a little peanut butter.  They LOVED it!  Rose even had seconds.

Tonight I am making Root Veggie Hash.

Ingredients
1 onion, peeled and cut into rings
2 cloves garlic, peeled and crushed
3 to 3-1/2 pounds root vegetables, such as parsnips, carrots, celery root, parsley root, turnips and/or potatoes in any combination
cabbage (optional but we like it a lot)
Salt and freshly ground black pepper
2 teaspoons dried (thyme, rosemary, tarragon, etc.)

To simply roast the veggies:
Preheat oven to 450ºF. Place vegetables in large bowl and toss with remaining ingredients. Spread on large baking sheet to form a single layer. Bake for 10 minutes. Reduce the heat to 400ºF and roast an additional 30 minutes, or until vegetables are tender when pierced with a fork.

To make it more of a hash like we serve it:
Place veggies in oven in an oven safe dish.  Roast at 300ºF – 350ºF adding veggie broth to moisten as needed.  I like it cooked low and slow until the veggies get extra soft and start to create an almost creamy texture along with the veggie broth.  I like this a little salty and served with fresh bread but season to your taste. It is also good with a yummy vegan mushroom gravy mixed through it.

I looked around today and I loved what I saw.  Lilly was curled up in a chair reading one of her favorite “learning” books, stopping every once in a while to share some exciting thing she hadn’t know before.  Lotus was running around with a board book looking at all the colors and shapes and Rose was sitting with her daddy on the couch, telling him all about the book she had, explaining all about it and getting it right!  I love days like this that show how much my girls love to learn.

No comments:

Twitter