Apr 4, 2011

Thoughts on my idiosyncrasies

I realized something about myself today. I don't look people that I am not comfortable with in the face. I had been out running around and I had some difficulty climbing over a snow bank to get to my van. As I struggled a family of three were getting out of their car and the man helped me out.

As I drove away, I thought about it and I realized that I had no idea what any of them looked like. I had not seen one of them above the shoulders. I smiled and I thanked them, but I was speaking to their feet. I could have turned around and three other people could have taken their place and I wouldn't have known the difference. I had no idea of age, race, or anything other than gender and that because I heard their voices.

I thought about it further and realized that I don't recall seeing anyone's face other than the people at the cash register (their job gives me a level of comfort). Thinking back on my life, I realize that I have always been that way. There are so many people who I have experiences with, whom I have dealt with in an in depth manner that I don't look at. And as a result when they see me later on the street, they recognize me, but I don't recognize them. I never looked at their faces.

I have always known that I have a very strong personal space barrier. I am very uncomfortable with being crowded by anyone, with any people being in my personal space and especially with being touched by people I am not completely comfortable with.

2 comments:

Fantastagirl said...

Something to keep in mind - we all put our pants on one leg at a time. We all fall, or have barriers that we need help getting over, and you, my friend should smile and start looking up. Who knows, next week, you may be the one to help them - and your smile might be what helps them make it through their day.

Deborah said...

I have done this too - maybe not to the level that you describe, but definitely avoiding peoples faces. Interesting.

Twitter