Mar 17, 2007

Drink



Theme: Drink Become a Photo Hunter View Blogroll



I love this picture. We had a mommy and daughters trip out at Tim Hortons and I treated her to a donut and a chocolate milk. She was sooo dainty in the way she ate, it made me smile.

Vegetarian Diet

I have been feeling really really dragged out lately. I don't mean a little tired. I mean too tired to get out of my chair to walk to the computer tired. Everything I did took effort and I would fall asleep every afternoon. I didn't know what was wrong and right up until AF showed up I was beginning to wonder if I may be pg. I wasn't but I was still super exhausted all the time. I decided to go ask some people for advice. I outlined my diet and what I had been eating and since most of them had been eating this way of life a LOT longer than I have, I figured they may have some words of wisdom for me.

Well, I got quite a lot of really great advice that mostly boiled down to the fact that I probably haven't been eating enough whole grain carbs. It was also mentioned that my diet was really low in good fats. So, yesterday, I had a snack of some nuts and when I made lunch, I made a lunch that was super healthy with Quinoa, spinach, beans, mushrooms, and tomatoes. It was really good but most importantly it had good carbs and protein in it. I didn't expect immediate results, but about an hour later, I suddenly started to feel like a weight was being lifted off my bones. Over the course of the afternoon, I could feel the life coming back into me.

Another bit of advice I got was that "You already have lost a lot of weight recently. You might just need a break from low-calorie-dieting then. Don’t worry too much about putting on weight again (even if returning to a normal calorie-intake might make you put on a few lbs at first). On a balanced, recommended calorie-intake vegan diet (but staying away from sweets and too much processed food, I would suggest) you’re not likely to put on a lot again. Rather eat “normal” and try to work out (more/regularly). Always focus on nutrients and what kind of fats you’re eating instead of avoiding calories and fat in general."

Based on the advice, the way that I feel and my experience, I am going to make two changes to my diet. I am going to include more whole grains and carbs, more legumes and healthy oils, and I am going to concentrate less on the scale for a while and more on just eating healthy. I just can't believe how much better I feel and how quickly it made a difference! I am amazed!

21 comments:

Toni said...

What adorable pictures for this week's theme.

On another note - I am completely impressed and inspired by your before/after pictures. Thank you for sharing them.

-tnchick- said...

I could live without chocolate! Eww!! LOL But the kids love it. Cute pics...

While I am here I must comment on your progression photos at the top. Wow, the before and the after look llike two totally different women. Amazing results!

I emailed you back, too.

Linda said...

Hreat drink photos - she does look very dainty!

And great weight loss photos - very impressive!

Melli said...

Verrrrrry good! Unfortunately that advice isn't going to help ME much... but it will certainly help you!

Little Princess looks like she was reallllllllly enjoying that doughnut and chocolate milk! :)

Anonymous said...

Got to love Tim Hortons. My daughter Miss pink mentions Tim Hortons this week too. Your daughter looks so happy.

Patty said...

Oh yummy choocalte milk!
Your daughter is adorable.
Great photos...mine is up too so please stop by

Anonymous said...

donuts and chocolate milk...yummy...

Good luck on the healthier eating. I'm glad you figured out what was causing you to feel so terrible and that you've been able to fix it!

Andree said...

Doughnuts are good! But your comment about healthy oils struck me because NPR's Science Friday show lately discussed that. You are definitly doing the right thing!

Biker Betty said...

What a great mother/daughter outing. Good luck on the change to your diet. I hear to change around is good at times. Have a great weekend.

Alice (in BC Canada) said...

What an absolute sweetheart! Nice photos, good for todays theme.

Mine is up, you are invited to come have a look.

Amazing Gracie said...

Keep up the good work. You're doing wonderfully well.
Princess is so sweet...

srp said...

There is nothing better when you are small than chocolate milk and a donut. Actually, there is nothing better when you are all grown up either.

Dragonheart, Merlin, Devi, and Chloe said...

So cute! She looks like she's really enjoying that chocolate milk. :) Great pics. :)

Amy's Blah, Blah, Blogging said...

It's amazing what changing just a little bit of our diet can do.

Cute pic of your daughter, love that she was so dainty about it. All girl!

Kat said...

Yummy dounuts!

Lynn said...

First, your before and after pictures. WOW! I wish I can be as disciplined as you are in losing weight. Now the pics, she's so cuute! I love her eyes! :)

And thanks for the visit.

Anonymous said...

precious photos!

Wishing you and yours happy days ahead

nic said...

Holy smoleys you are an eating inspiration. I'm trying to refine my diet, too, but you are light-years ahead of me, dearie! WTG!!

Teena in Toronto said...

Alas, two of my favourite things!!

Mine's up :)

Dreena said...

Kudos to you!! For not assuming that eating vegetarian was the cause of your slumped energy, but rather that the types of foods you were eating over a period of time more likely were making you sluggish. Transitioning to veg foods can be tricky when some of our veg-friendly 'old' foods that we eat regularly aren't very nourishing (ex: white bagels, white rice). We think the diet is deficient, when really it's about including new fabulous foods in our diets!

Whole grains, vegetables, nuts, seeds, legumes, and other foods like tofu/tempeh, are all amazing whole foods that will definitely energize you. And sure you can have the occasional 'refined' foods... but not for daily meals (like white bread at lunch), but rather for special meals and desserts.

Well done, and good luck with discovering more veg foods that you love!

Cats~Goats~Quotes said...

Yummy Chocolate!
Cute picture for Drink, and congrats on your photos!!

Twitter