Feb 20, 2007

Tuesday Talk

Invented Supper


So let me set the scene. I am in the kitchen with no-meat meatballs ready to go and I realize I have no idea what I am doing with them. I start pulling random ingredients from my fridge and freezer to invent a supper. Here is kind of how it went:
  1. "MMmmm . . . corn? Yeah, corn would be nice tonight. I will microwave about 1/2 cup of corn to go with supper." So the corn goes on the counter.

  2. "Let me see what is in this fridge . . . OH! I see squash! I can do something with that." and the squash goes on the counter.

  3. "I wonder what I should do with the no-meat meatballs? Well they will need a sauce. Here lets throw in some broccoli and cauliflower. Well that looks yummy, but it still isn't a sauce. Okay lets start with the basis of the sauce. I can put in 1/2 cup of water and a 1 tsp of vegetable bullion in on the no-meat meatballs and broccoli and cauliflower. Well that is a start, but what do I do with it?"

  4. So now I am standing in front of my fridge with no idea what I am going to add to my sauce. I pick up some sugar free maple syrup and pour a random amount of that in on the no-meat meatballs. After that I add some soya sauce.

  5. Next, after it is cooked, I taste it. Terrified that I have ruined all that perfectly good food. It was heavenly! It was just so good!

The Squash, I roasted in the oven cut in half and cut side down in about 1/4 inch of water. When it was just about cooked (just about 35 minutes) I turned it over and put a tiny bit of margarine and salt all over it. After that I put a tablespoon of sugar free apricot jam in each half and spread over it. It was YUMMY!!! It was my favorite veggie supper so far!

Scrapbooking


Snowed In!

We had quite the storm last night. The power kept flickering but it stayed (Thank God! Little Princess is terrified of the dark). The wind roared around the house. And I am scared of the wind. It is silly I know but I have been that way since I survived a hurricane. The wind blows and makes things shake and rattle and I wince. But anyway, we made it through and the house is half-buried in snow. I am going to go out and try to shovel us out a bit. I need to get groceries and I don't know if the roads are even cleared yet. It is pretty heavy snow out there. All up and down our street people are shovelling their driveways in groups, in little shovelling parties.

4 comments:

April said...

Yum, your dinner sounded yummy! I love anything with squash in it. You can fix it so many different ways. I have a winter vegetable dish I will be making tonight with baked fried chicken.. :-)

We are in the 70's today, I am so happy. I am not a winter person at all..lol

Anonymous said...

Good for you for making up something yummy :)

Cory said...

Ooooo....Snow..... It doesn't snow down here, but we do get hurricanes! :) I'm glad to hear that the power didn't go out since that would bother the Princess.
That dinner sounds absolutely divine. I need to pick up some stuff and try it.

Emmy said...

Don't you love it when you create a fabulous recipe just using a little bit of this or that. WTG :)

Good luck with shoveling the snow and I hope you have a safe trip to the grocery store if you can get out.

Twitter