Jan 31, 2013

On Being a Mom

I was having a conversation with Prince Charming about a person we have met a few times on the bus.  She seemed to be the kind of mother who needed accolades for what she does.  She seemed to need more than she was getting, or to be getting more recognition than she was getting.  On top of that, she seemed to be the kind of mom who finds no great joy in motherhood in general, like it is a job that she does, but that she didn't like it very much.  Now this is no judgement on her, I am not in her shoes, I have no idea what is actually in her head and I have no doubt that she loves her children with all her heart.

However, it did make me think of my own thoughts on motherhood, my place in the world and what I really want out of life.  The truth is, I am happy with my place in the world.  I mean, I would like it to be a different geographical location and I would love to have more money, but if I had all the money in the world and a magic fairy who could grant me a wish, I wouldn't wish to do a different job, I would simply wish to do this one better.  I LOVE being a mom.  Even in my most sleep-deprived, exhausted moments, I wouldn't change that part of my life.  I don't want or need to go out and find fulfillment somewhere else.  I don't need accolades and big parades of appreciation.  The occasional pat on the back from Prince Charming, the feeling of little arms around my neck, and the sounds of  "I love you mummy!", "Yum, this is good, I LOVE noonles!" and little giggles are really all the appreciation I need.

Years ago, I wanted to go back to school.  I graduated from college, but I wanted to go back and take something else.  But now, I find other ways to stretch my mental faculties.  I enjoy other things that aren't about being a mom.  But my greatest joys, my greatest fulfillments, my best days, are all about my kids, being the best mom and wife I can be.

4 comments:

momto5 said...

i voted for your photo not realizing it was yours!
this post really speaks to me. there have been many time in the last 18 years that i would have loved something, maybe a parade. lol i think in our society there is so much praise for any job, almost all jobs, except parenthood, motherhood really. a man can pretty much just not leave his family and he is a hero... but a mother, no matter what you do, how hard you work, how strong your love society is there to knock you down. blame you, say your not good enough, those questions.... "what do you do?" and you say "oh, i'm a mama" (with pride) "oh, well i mean your real job" such a slap. like being a mama isn't the most important job, even if you do work outside the home. just rambling, sorry. i don't really want a parade... most of the time. lol

Anonymous said...

Beautiful post....

I enjoy being a mom - but I find it so hard - I never know if I'm doing it right - it's such a big deal....

For me working outside the home is nice for many reasons - one of them being I know I'm good at it!! :)

Julie said...

Being a mom is the best! I wouldn't trade it in for the world. :)

http://multipleblessings.wordpress.com/

Eva said...

I feel exactly the same way. :)

Twitter