Oct 13, 2014

Trying Something New

I am trying something new today.  Little Prince has always had bottles. He doesn't seem to be able to work a sippy cup.  A bottle is easier.  But even though his autism means he is developmentally behind, he is physically 2 1/2 years old now and he bites the nipples of  his bottles.  He makes holes in them and then sprays milk all over his room, all over his crib, all over the sheets and blankets he piles up, and all over himself.  Every day, I go to get him and everything is a sticky chocolately mess.

So today I am going to try to convince him to use a sippy.  Just for today, I am going to give him only sippies as much as I can.  Maybe without the bottle to fall back on, he will figure out the sippy.  But the thing is that, I won't let him get hysterical.  If he can't do it, he can't do it and that is okay, but I am going to give it a shot.  Then, if he figures out the sippy cup, maybe he will make less of a mess with the bottle.  If he can't do it, then I guess I see daily top to bottom cleanings of his room, his crib, his clothes, and his body in my future.

This autism stuff is tricky and I feel like I am constantly trying balance pushing him to learn new things and keeping him happy, contented, and not frustrated. 


No comments:

Twitter