Jun 28, 2009

Twelve Weeks Pregnant

I am twelve weeks today and according to the newsletter I got this morning that puts me into my second trimester!!! Woohoo!! Time is going so fast with this pregnancy! I find it surprising that given how sick I am most of the time and the headaches I have had, you would think that time would be dragging by. But it really isn't. I am 1/3 of the way towards having my very last baby. Wow.

Here is what is going on with my baby right now:
Your baby's face is beginning to look more human, even though she is only about 2 inches/5.5cms long from her crown to her rump and weighs slightly less than half an ounce/ 14 grams. The eyes, which started out on the sides of the head, have moved closer together. The ears are almost in their normal position on the side of the head. The liver is making bile and the kidneys are secreting urine in the bladder.

The fetus squirms if your abdomen is prodded, although you cannot yet feel movement. Fetal nerve cells have been multiplying rapidly and synapses (neurological connections in your brain) are forming. The fetus has acquired more reflexes: touching the palms makes the fingers close, touching the soles of the feet makes the toes curl down and touching the eyelids makes the eye muscles clench.

Your doctor or midwife can now feel the top of the uterus, also known as the fundus, low in the abdomen. As you enter the second trimester, you may find yourself donning looser, less restrictive clothing. Soon you won't be able to fit into your regular clothes any more.


1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Congrats on hitting 12 weeks!!! :D

Twitter