Jul 28, 2009

What's a Mommy of Girls to do???


Princess Belle is super skinny. She always has been but lately, I have been having troubles getting her to eat enough . She actually looked at me yesterday and said she wanted to eat less food in her diet!!!! She keeps talking about wanting to keep being skinny.

We had a long talk about that one. We talked about how she was a growing girl and she needs to eat enough of the right foods to grow and about how it is being a good person more important than being the right body shape. How people come in all shapes and sizes and that is okay. And how being too skinny is not healthy and if you are too skinny you won't get all the lovely girl curves that grown up girls get.

I swear I have been so careful not to discuss diet with her, not to call her skinny, not to discuss my weight concerns with her, to talk about health not weight and it isn't enough. She has such distorted views on weight and being skinny. I just don't know where to go with this.

3 comments:

Julie said...

Unfortunately, I think a lot of that kind of thinking comes from other kids (like from school or around the neighborhood)... She's probably heard some kids being mean to someone, and doesn't want that for herself... Some kids can be so cruel. :(

http://scrapgrrl.com

Emily said...

It's so scary that it happens at such a young age. I hope that I'm able to teach Melody that it's what's on the inside that counts!

Anonymous said...

I wish I had some advice - we go through that with Little Sis as well..... we try not to make a big deal about it hoping she won't latch on to "I want to be skinny" for attention - I have no idea if this is the right approach - I put my had on her back and her shoulder blades stick out like giant mountains and my skin crawls... I try not to show this..... if you figure something out let me know!!!

Twitter