Dec 9, 2005

What do you mean you "LIKE" laundry?!?!

I feel like I should explain my comment that I actually enjoy laundry. I am not some clean freak maniac who revels in scouring the house in a wild search for dirty socks.

In fact, in the past, laundry has always been the bain of my existence. It was a job I could never keep on top of and huge piles of laundry seem to appear out of nowhere whenever I felt like I had finally gotten the house in a somewhat presentable state. And on top of that I was always forgetting to put it in the dryer after the washer stopped. Clothes sometimes got washed 2 and 3 times before I got it washed, dried, and folded.

The thing is, I also have another little quirk. I feel guilty sitting down and relaxing in the middle of the day. Evenings after Little Princess goes to bed are for relaxing. The day is for cooking, cleaning, laundry, playing with Little Princess, punctuated with little visits at my computer. So, when I finally got a system down with all of my "duties" that allowed me spare time to relax with a cup of coffee in the middle of the day, I felt bad. I felt like I was cheating and being lazy.

So the advent of our rec room right next to the laundry room was quite a boon for me. This means that I get to down to the rec room in the middle of the day while Little Princess naps. I sit down, drink my coffee, read a book, or watch a show and I am not being lazy. I am doing laundry. All I do is relax and when either the washer or the dryer stops, I take care of business and then I relax again. I always have my laundry done, I have time to myself and I still keep on top of everything else. It feels like laundry time is cheating time. I get time all to myself to do as I please and I am still being productive.

I know I have many many issues as is probably apparent in the content of this post. But I hope I have explained a little what I meant. It isn't actually the laundry I enjoy it is the quiet time it affords me that I like.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

My washer and dryer our out in the garage. It is 18 degrees here so laundry is a real pain. That being said, I used to have to go to the laundry mat so having my own is way better. I too rewash items several times. My record is 6 times. Things sit in the dryer from time to time too. When I do a laundry day, the couch is covered with folded clothing. I have just started my watch TV and fold system again after having to wait for the baby to stop pulling everything off of the couch. Doing laundry for 5 people (I don't do DH's laundry anymore) is a pain. I HATE laundry but it has to be done, along with the dishes.

Anonymous said...

my computer is downstairs, as if my laundry area. i do laundry everyday, helps me keep up with my blog;)

Anonymous said...

Man I wish my laundry was on the first floor!

Anonymous said...

I totally agree with this. That, and the sense of accomplishment.

What irks me is finally getting it all folded, and the second it is done someone throws something into the basket again!

Anonymous said...

Ewk. I hate housework. Take a look at my house and you'll agree. ;o)

Anonymous said...

I always hated unfolding the towels to refold before you hang them. Martha Stewart showed me how to fold them better than my wife or mother do.

I mentioned this. This was my undoing. Now folding the towels is my responsibility. I enjoy gardening and mowing not laundry. But, I still fold all the towels.

Me and my big mouth.

Anonymous said...

I don't mind doing laundry, it's the folding and sorting that I hate. But laundry is a good way to see that you've accomplished something.

Twitter