Dec 2, 2005

Flashback Friday



Todays Flashback Friday was supposed to be all about those warm, fuzzy memories we have of our child/children, or if you don’t have kids, maybe one you remember from your own childhood.

Karin chose this topic because her beautiful baby girl is celebrating her first birthday today, so be sure to go over there and wish her daughter a happy birthday! (Pssst…while you’re there, make sure you tell Karin you have every confidence that she can pull off a birthday party tomorrow for 30 guests!)

I kinda has problems with this one not because I don't have any special memories with Little Princess but because they all jumble together into lots of little memories.

I remember the first time I had to pack up the clothes she had outgrown. I remembered how when I brought her home she was so small that even the premie clothes I had was too big. And then suddenly there i was in the middle of her bedroom floor with a big pile of clothes she couldn't wear anymore. I suddenly started to realize that she was never going to be that small again. It goes too fast and I just didn't want her to be bigger yet. I mean I am always happy that she is healthy and growing and I love to celebrate all her new developments and achievements, but I just wanted to cling to her to keep her small a little longer. I just loved her so much I hated to see her babyhood go away so soon. So I sat there bawling like a silly schoolgirl because my daughter was growing up.

I remember our first trip to the emergency room. She has been vomiting and she was so little, I was scared. So we took her. I stayed all night in that hospital room Prince Charming lay down on an empty bed and I lay awake on another. Hovering over her, scared to death. She was okay, but I will never forget the fear and worry.

I remember a hundred nights, she has woken up scared or crying and wanted me to come in. I remember her little arms wrapping around my neck, her head on my shoulder and her body heavy with sleep laying against me, because as long as mommy is there, all is right with the world.

I can feel her little hand in mine as we go shopping together. I can hear her singing songs endlessly in her room when she is supposed to be sleeping. I remember the breathless anticipation and the ensuing celebration when she first sang the alphabet. I can remember her awestruck enthusiasm as we went to see a movie together, just her and I. I remember popcorn and juice and cuddles in the dark.

I remember making cookies in the kitchen, with her elbow deep in batter, squishing the dough in her hands to shape it into the cutest, oddest shaped lumps of cookie dough and then sitting together after with milk and eating our creations.

There are a hundred little memories that spring to mind when I try to think of warm fuzzy moments. But I guess I haven't yet had that one big one that transcends them all that leaves me thinking this is the one I will remember forever. I racked my brain and tried to come up with one. Surely there must be at least one. Until that one comes, I will just keep building little memories and trying desperately remember them all.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

I absolutely love the image (and audio) of the little princess singing in her room when she's supposed to be sleeping.

Anonymous said...

TC, every single one of those memories IS a big one. :) Thank you for sharing them!

Anonymous said...

Beautiful memories! Got me all teary just thinking about when my little one will be old enough to do those things (although she's already started the singing in the crib...lol!). The preemie clothes reminded me of when I was looking at some clothes we had been given that were for I think 6 months and I remember saying "she'll never be this big will she?" and now of course she's much bigger. They grow so very very fast. Thanks for sharing!

Anonymous said...

This is a wonderful post. It brings back many memories of my own children when they were little!

I hope you have a fantastic weekend TC!

Anonymous said...

those are all wonderful memories, even the one to the hospital, scary, but makes you realize just how much her life makes yours.

Anonymous said...

Reading your post, I recalled gathering my little one's first clothes when she grew out of them. I never thought she'd be big enough to grow out of them!

Very beautiful post...

Anonymous said...

I too don't have one big memory of my son. There are just too many that are special to me!

Twitter