- 5 large apples (about 2 lbs), peeled and thinly sliced
- 1 cup apple cider
- 3 tbsp brown sugar
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 tsp ground cinnamon
- 2 tbsp unsalted butter
- 2 1/4 cups whole grain bread crumbs
- 3 tbsp chopped walnuts
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.
- Combine the apples, apple cider, 1 tablespoon of the brown sugar, the vanilla and 1/2 teaspoon of the cinnamon in a large saucepan over medium-high heat.
- Cook, stirring occasionally, until the apples are tender but still retain their shape, about 10 minutes.
- Stir in 1 tablespoon of the butter until melted, remove from the heat, and transfer the apple mixture to a 9-inch pie plate or a ceramic dish.
- Melt the remaining 1 tablespoon butter in the microwave for 20 seconds.
- Toss the crumbs with the melted butter, walnuts, remaining 2 tablespoons of brown sugar, and remaining 1/2 teaspoon of cinnamon.
- Scatter the crumb mixture on top of the apples and bake for 30 minutes, until the topping is crisped and lightly browned.
Makes 6 servings (serving size: 1 cup)
Total fat 7g
Protein 3gCarb 42g