Mar 19, 2013

Tackle it Tuesday


(click the pic above to get to other Tackles for this week)

About six months ago, I replaced my coffee perk.  I love my new perk, but for some reason, the glass carafe got really really stained, really quickly!  I tried cleaning it with plain dishsoap and and water, but nothing happened at all.  So I did some research.  I found a number of ways to clean glass coffee pots. 
 
Here is what I started with (gross, I know!):
 
 
 
The first method I tried was combining hot water and comet and swishing around inside the pot.  After the water was cool enough, I put my fingers inside rubbed the sides down.  This worked pretty well for all the light stains.  If your pot is not as nasty stained as mine was this would definitely be a good choice for you.  I may use this for upkeep now.
 
Here is what it looked like after just the comet and water:
 
 
 
The second method I tried was making a paste of lemon juice and baking soda.  This smelled so nice!  I dipped a cloth into the paste and used it to scrub the inside of the pot.  It worked SOOO WELL!  The stains just came away with almost no effort at all.  After I was done, I looked around my kitchen for other things that could be benefitted by this little paste. 
 
Here is what it looked like after the lemon and baking soda:
 
 
 
Here are some other methods I read about but didn't need to use to clean my coffee pot:
  1. Combine a mixture of 1/2 vinegar and 1/2 water and run it through the coffee perk 2 times.  After that, let the mixture sit in the coffee pot for a short while and then scrub the pot.
  2. I have heard that you can use a toothbrush and toothpaste to scrub the pot clean.
  3. SOS pads work very well.
  4. Baking soda on a sponge is another option.
  5. Make a paste of salt and vinegar (spread over it, leave on surface for a while and then wash off a few hours later).

1 comment:

Crazy mommy said...

I have always used salt, lemons and ice, just swish it around and around in the pot until it's clean. Works really well.

Twitter