Mar 7, 2013

Pizza Strata

I wanted to make something yummy for breakfast this morning and I had a few things to use up in the fridge, so I came up with this recipe.  It is flexible and I can see many different variations on it in our future.  This is what I did this morning

Bread cubes (enough to fill our roaster half-way up)
Italian Seasoning
8 eggs
2 cups milk
1 cup salsa
bacon (cooked until crispy and broken up)
cut up ham (or salami or other meat as preferred)
grated cheese (enough to generously cover the top)

Combine bread crumbs, Italian Seasoning, and Bacon.
Place in roasting pan.
Combine eggs, salsa (saving a couple of spoonfuls) and milk.
Pour over bread crumbs.  There should be enough to generously soak the bread.
Spread rest of salsa over top, scatter ham over the top and then the cheese over that.
Cook in oven for 1/2 hour to 45 minutes at 350* until set in the middle. 
If preferred you could delay putting the cheese on until half way through cooking process. 

UPDATE:  It was a huge hit with everyone.  I forgot to take a pic before we cut it, but I did get a pic after, it is just a little close up, LOL

2 comments:

Heather said...

I never thought to put salsa in a strata! This sounds awesome! And definitely something that would work for me - i love spicy. I would love it if you would share this at what i am eating http://www.townsend-house.com/2013/03/what-i-am-eating_8.html

Nancy said...

Eggs and bacon and pizza = big win!

Visiting from What I Am Eating. Have a great Monday!

Twitter