It may be a bit cliche, but I think the perfect thing to have for supper on St. Patrick's Day is a traditional Irish Stew;
Traditional Irish Stew
1 pound lamb stew meat
3 pounds potatoes
1/2 pound parsnips (carrots can be used)
2 or 3 onions
Oil for sauteeing
1 tablespoon brown sugar
480ml liquid stock (equal parts cooking wine and water)
Salt to taste
Pepper to taste
5 bay leaves
1 teaspoon basil
1. Brown onions and meat in oil.
2. Slice parsnips (or carrots) saute them and add little bit of brown sugar to glaze.
3. Slice potatoes and put in large pot along with meat and onions.
4. Add liquid stock, salt, pepper, bay leaves, and basil.
5. Add parsnips (or carrots)
6. Cook for 1 1/2 hours
Serve with Irish soda bread.