Australian Meat Pie
- 1.5 lbs ground beef
- 2 beef stock cubes
- 1 1/2 cups of water + additional 1/4 cup
- 2 tbsp all-purpose flour
- 1 tsp soy sauce
- Salt and pepper to taste
- A pinch of nutmeg
- 1 deep dish pie crust
(topping of pie)
- 12 ounces puff pastry
- 1 egg yolk
- 1 tsp water
- Brown the meat in a skillet over a low heat until it is thoroughly cooked.
- Drain off any remaining fat.
- Crumble the beef cubes and add it along with 1 1/2 cups of water, pepper, salt, and nutmeg.
- Allow the mixture to boil, then reduce the heat.
- Cover, then simmer for about 20 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Combine 1/4 cup of water with 2 tablespoons of flour and mix well.
- Add this to the meat, then stir until well combined.
- Return the meat to the heat and stir until the mixture thickens.
- Add the soy sauce and stir well.
- Simmer (uncovered) for about 5 or 10 minutes, then remove from heat and allow it to cool before pouring into the pie shell.
- Roll out the puff pastry onto a floured surface and cut the pastry to fit over the pie.
- Mix the egg yolk and water together and brush over the top of the pie, then bake at 400 degrees F for about 5 minutes, or until the pie crust is golden brown.
- Reduce to 350 degrees F and cook for an additional 10 minutes.