Math as always been an issue for Princess Belle so, we have different programs and approaches to try to get through the mental block that she has with regards to math. She has newly been introduced to computer usage, and is excited by it so I was happy to give A+ Interactive Math a try!
We put aside our usual program and gave the fourth grade A+ tutor soft online homeschool edition from A+ Tutorsoft, Inc. a good try. It covers all math concepts and is divided by grade-school years, covering 1st-6th grades as well as Pre-Algebra and Algebra. You can take the free placement test to make sure you know where to begin with your student.
It is a simple process.
- You as the parent create an account with the company. Then you log in and set up the student account and password for the student.
- The student logs in using this pre-created account and chooses the next lesson from the table of contents. (I sat with Princess Belle through this process as she needs guidance to keep her on task sometimes.)
- Watch a video presentation of the days topic which auto starts when clicking on a topic in the table of contents. (Princess Belle has little patience didn't always like watching the complete videos, but she saw the value afterwards)
- Chose to do an interactive Q&A session or go straight to do an online worksheet where the student answers an average of 10 questions.
- Upon completion you can select to review your work or finalize the worksheet at which time you have instant feed back. (Number of questions answered, number correct, number incorrect, percentage)
- Sign out of the program.
- Each Monday a certificate is generated showing the past weeks tests and worksheets completed.
- I sat with Princess Belle because she has a tendency to get sidetracked when she in on the computer, but parents do have the ability to watch any lesson that the children did. From the parent account there is an admin page where you can review how the online worksheets and exam went: score, how long it took her to do it, which are completed and which are pending etc.
Some additional items available for free:
- worksheets (Algebra 1, 3r Grade, 4th Grade, 5h Grade, 6th Grade and Pre Algebra)
- PDF Exam sheets (Algebra 1, 3r Grade, 4th Grade, 5h Grade, 6th Grade and Pre Algebra)
- multimedia lessons and Interactive problem solving
- homework Help as part of the package.
- CD demo OR an Online Demo
Princess Belle worked on this program without complaint. She liked the idea of working on a computer even if it meant that I had to work a little harder to keep her on task. She liked the format and that the first part wasn't too much of a challenge for her while she was getting the hang of the program. She liked the animated lessons and I liked that when she got something wrong, the lesson was explained to her. The audible instruction is pleasant and pretty clear and the visual examples do enhance the lesson quite a bit. This is a great product, but I did find that I needed to work with her to provide explanations and to answer questions when she had them.
Each grade level of A+ Interactive Math is available online ($19.95 monthly, $49.99 quarterly, $124.99 yearly) or CD (standard edition - $99.99 and premium edition - $124.99). Each subscription covers one student. You can try the online homeschool edition for free for one month here. If you decide that your children can benefit from this curriculum and are ready to purchase, feel free to use the coupon code spoffer50 for 50% off any purchase, online or software, until the end of March 2013. How awesome is that? You can find a button for this discount on the main website too. The creator of this curriculum also hosts another great website with various math freebies called just that, Math Freebies. This is a solid curriculum that I warmly recommend to you.
If you'd like to read more reviews check out the Crew blog!
Disclaimer: I was offered a free subscription to A+ tutor soft for the sole purpose of writing an honest review. I received no other compensation and I was not required to write a positive review. All opinions expressed are my own and my daughter's. I am disclosing this in accordance with the FTC regulations.