Sep 6, 2009

Poor Princess Belle and homeschool stuff

Poor Princess Belle. She has had a rough weekend. Here is how it has gone for her:
  1. The last couple of nights, she woken up every night, crying with nightmares or pains in her legs, creating grouchy days for us all.
  2. Yesterday, one of the neighbour kids had a birthday party with a big bouncy house and invited every single child on our street and the next street over EXCEPT Princess Belle. She saw the bouncy house, got excited and the boy wouldn't let her in.
  3. Aunt Notso came to town to visit (that was a good thing and she even brought presents) and when she was leaving our house, Princess Belle went running to the window to watch, stepped on some glass that the cats had knocked over and broke and cut her foot.
  4. This morning, the first thing she said when she got up was, "When is Aunt Notso coming back?" I told her a little later today (I thought that was true) and she went and put on a pretty skirt for when she came. Then when I checked to see when Aunt Notsosnowwhite was coming, I found out I was wrong and she had already left and gone home without coming back. Thus tears and heartbreak.
  5. And not to be done with just that, she was out playing with a little neighbour boy, climbing a tree (in her SKIRT!) she fell down and scraped her belly.
Her weekend has felt like one bad thing after another and I just feel bad for her.

I have spent some time trying to rework our schedule and our school work. I have been thinking that I am trying to hard to get too much done. I am making the tough subjects too much doing school at home instead of homeschooling. I need to make this a little more fun, a little more relaxed and a little less time spent on each subject. I looked around at some other blogs and the schedules they have, I looked at the A Beka website (I am not doing their curriculum this year, but I want to next year) and looked at their recommendations for the amount of time spent on each subject and I reworked our schedule. I did add in extra art slots because Princess Belle is a very creative child who loves to be creative.

I found this really great educational site for teaching kids about music that Princess Belle really likes. So much so that when she was drawing pictures later, she came back and asked me the sound of certain notes she couldn't remember so that she could draw them on her picture.

I am looking for fun things to add to our science and social studies curriculum as well as different ways to approach our math. I want to make learning fun, I don't want her to be stressed about it. She has spent all her public school life stressed about her schooling, I WILL NOT have her homeschooling life be that way.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

It'll be a better week ahead.


Mike
http://somethingaboutparenting.typepad.com


Twitter: AboutParenting

Notsosnowwhite said...

Dear Princess Belle

Aunt Notso is very sorry that she could not come back to visit before I went back to my own kingdom. Uncle smurf was very sick ever since last night and wanted to get back to our homestead. I will see u again, i promise and remember, soon you will be living in the same home as aunt Notso.

Again, I am sorry, miss you lots


love you lots
aunt notso

Patty said...

Sounds like you have a good plan.

Lisa @ Boondock Ramblings said...

That poor thing! What an awful weekend! I hope things get better for her soon!

Emily said...

Poor Princess Belle...just one bummer after another. I hope this week is better for her...bless her little heart!

Tasha said...

Hang in there. You will get everything worked out and it will be fun!

Julie said...

Sounds like she had a bad week for sure! ... That was so mean not to invite her to the party. :(

http://scrapgrrl.com

Twitter