May 1, 2007

Here's the lowdown

I have been sooo sick for days! It started with the fact that my neck muscles and my throat was hurting. After about a day, my joints started to get achy and I started running really high fevers. Last night, I was talking to a health call in line and they mentioned dehydration for part of it. I started to drink a lot of water and my muscles feel a little better but my throat is only getting worse. It is even hard to swallow water now it hurts so bad.

I couldn't get into the clinic, so I went into emergency as I was starting to have troubles breathing. It turns out that my throat was so swollen shut it was hard to see what was wrong. He did see some spots and he thinks it is probably strep and I have enough symptoms of strep that he started me on treatment for that right away while waiting for the results of the swab. He gave 4 doses of steroids to bring the swelling down in my throat which will take several hours to come into effect. The nurse was nice enough to give me a dose of the medication for tonight and for tomorrow morning so I can wait until tomorrow to worry about getting it. The doctor said I also have an ear infection. (WHO gets an ear infection at 35????) He said, "didn't you feel that" and I thought to myself my whole throat is in so much pain right now, I wouldn't notice if my toe fell off. he did say that since he is not absolutely sure it is strep, I can call in friday to find out. If I don't have strep, then I have MONO!

btw, sorry if that made no sense. I am sick and tired and just came back from HOURS in the emercency department with all these people try to pry my poor swollen throat open so they can get a look.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm glad you got some medical attention. And I had an ear infection over the holidays, and I'm....old.

Glad you are getting some meds. Feel better, kiddo! xoxo

Melli said...

Ohhhhh dear! I do hope it's not mono -- I'm betting it IS strep. Strep can be SO nasty! And you really have to be CAREFUL cuz it will go into scarlet fever if left alone long enough! Good thing you got in to be seen!

Fantastagirl said...

I feel terrible for saying this, but I hope that you have strep, you do not want mono - that can take you down for weeks, just take all your medicine, even if you start to feel better - gotta get rid of those nasty germs!

Anonymous said...

Oh no, I am so sorry you are sick. Bless your heart. I sure hope the medicine kicks in real soon. I know what you mean about getting an ear infection later in life. I got one at 37 and couldn't believe it but my immune system had gotten so down over my nosebleeds and being scared and eating not very well from being scared chewing would start a nosebleed. You will be feeling so much better in a few days. You just take care of yourself right now..hugs, April

Cory said...

I'm glad to hear that you made it in to the doctor. It sounds pretty bad, but meds are good. I hope that you find out it's strep because mono sucks!

Unknown said...

get some rest and i hope you feel better soon... i hope its not mono so i'll say a little prayer for you... :o)

Twitter