Here are two recipes that I can't wait to try!
Zucchini Pasta with Creamy Basil Sauce
FOR THE PASTA
2 medium zuchinni
1 cup cherry, grape or baby heirloom tomatoes halved
FOR THE SAUCE
½ cup basil
2 cloves garlic sliced
1/4 cup lemon juice
2 tablespoons nutritional yeast, optional*
¼ cup water
1/2 teaspoon sea salt
*Nutritional yeast can be found in most health food stores.
1. Using a julienne or vegetable peeler, peel the zucchini into “noodles” and set aside.
2. In a Vitamix or high-speed blender combine basil and lemon juice until basil is thoroughly ground.
3. Add the avocado, garlic, lemon juice, nutritional yeast, water, and sea salt and blend until smooth and creamy.
4. Toss the zucchini noodles with the sauce until thoroughly coated.
5. Top with sliced cherry tomatoes and a few basil leaves and serve immediately.
The Best Way to Cook Zucchini and Carrots
1. Preheat oven to 220 C/425 F
2. Cut your veg into 8-cm/3-inch sticks, making sure they are even in thickness.
3. Line a baking tray with baking paper and a light layer of olive oil.
4. SEASON – go with the usual salt&pepper and branch out to one or two of the following (Choose Your Own Adventure-style): paprika, cumin, cayenne, crushed red peppers, thyme, rosemary, sage – really, whatever takes your fancy and suits your meal. Using premixed spice blends is a great option too – Italian, Mexican, Old Bay – you know, just not all at once.
(Today I used salt&pepper + smokey paprika and crushed red peppers.)
Lightly toss your vegetable batons with a tablespoon or so of olive oil (not too much) and the herbs and spices.
5. Spread your seasoned veg over your lined tray and roast, tossing halfway through, for about 20 minutes or until golden and slightly browned at the edges.