2c. flour (can substitute 1c. whole wheat)
1tsp. baking powder
1Tbsp vegetable shortening
- Mix flour, salt, and baking powder.
- Add shortening and mix with hand forming little “peas”.
- Add water slowly until it forms a soft dough.
- Pinch off 12 balls and roll on a floured surface.
- Heat on cast iron griddle.
After a tortilla comes off the griddle, immediately put it in a kitchen towel wrapped up. Once the next one is done, put it in with the first one, and wrap it up again. Continue in this manner with the rest of the tortillas. The kitchen towel keeps the tortillas warm and the just the right amount of heat and moisture stays in to make the tortillas soft and flexible.