Feb 19, 2009

Mom thoughts.

As a mom, I second guess myself all the time. I make the decisions I feel are right and stand back and hold my breath hoping I did the right thing. As a child I thought parents knew everything. I was sure that when my mom and dad made a decision it was because as a parent you know exactly the right thing to do every time.

Putting Princess Belle on a gluten and dairy free diet to try to make her be a healthier girl and to combat her ADHD symptoms was one decision that I had a hard time with. I didn't want to withhold things from her for no reason. I didn't want her to feel deprived. I wanted reassurance that it would turn out okay for her. And as I reflect on what I am doing to help her, I remember things that my parents did to help my sister who grew up battling ADHD. I remember the sugar free diet and the coffee in the morning and the medication and suddenly it all makes sense. I can understand that they didn't know any more than I do. They were doing exactly what I am doing, whatever I can to make things easier for my sweet sweet girl.

And surprisingly, it is going better than I had thought. Princess Belle doesn't mind when I tell her that she can't eat that particular snack because I have to give her a special one. She likes soy milk and her special cereal. She likes the quick flax bread that I make for us in the microwave. She is so flexible and understanding, I could just squish her.

And last night, I got another clue that this was good for her. The bags under her eyes are starting to go away. I was looking at her after she came down the stairs telling me how she was looking out her window to wish on a star and the wall had banged her on the head. As I looked at her with tear stained eyes looking up at me late at night, I realized that the bags were almost gone. After all these years of bags under eyes. I was exhultant! It felt like a declaration that I was doing the right thing. She is getting better and she has only been eating this way for a few days. Suddenly the road ahead got easier.

I have tried to go back through my pictures to illustrate what I mean. It is hard to show because I don't tend to keep pics where the bags under her eyes are obvious, but here are a couple of pics I think you might be able to see what I mean.





4 comments:

Cory said...

It's great that you are seeing something work. And that she is so understanding.

Anonymous said...

I'm glad that things are working out! I would never think about a change in diet for things like that... Good for you Mom!

Anonymous said...

I can see a difference!!! Maybe I need to give this a try to get rid of my bags. ;)

By the way, I love your header. I don't know how long you've had it up and I haven't noticed it. But, it's really cute and SO true!!

Tasha said...

I think you are doing a great job...She is so lucky to have a caring mom like you.

Twitter