Feb 11, 2008

Idea

I have an idea on how to track my nutrition to make sure I am getting enough of what I need. There is a website: Babyfit that allows pregnant women to track the food they are eating. You enter all your stats, your weight, etc and then the tracker tells you the reccommended Calcium, Protein, Folate, Iron, Calories, and Fiber that you need for you and your baby and how what you have eaten compares. This will give me a tool to make sure I am getting the foods my baby needs. I am going to do this every day. That way I can go ahead and eat vegetarian and I am not relying on my silly morning sick body to tell me what I need. (because I am pretty sure pickles and hot peppers are not the sole requirements of a pregnant girl LOL)

On the upside, I did find a really yummy veggie pea soup that I ate last night for supper that was fabulous! I had it with a couple of slices of whole grain bread and it hit the spot perfectly. (I left out the celery, veggie meat, and the peppercorns but it was still wonderful)

SPLIT PEA SOUP (From http://veggiesyarnsandtails.wordpress.com/ )

Wonderful on a cold, rainy day with freshly-baked bread or buns. Full of flavor and stick to your ribs satisfying !!! Serves 6-8 generously. Freezes well.

3 T. vegetable oil

2 large carrots, diced

1 large onion, diced

3 stalks celery, diced

2 cloves garlic, minced (optional but adds a lot of flavor)

½ (155 gr.) pkg. vegetarian ham or pepperoni, diced,

6 C. vegetable soup stock

2 C. dried yellow or green split peas (washed and drained)

1 T. Dijon mustard

1- 1 ½ teas Mrs. Dash Original Blend OR Spike Seasoning Blend

10 peppercorns – Note: Remove peppercorns before eating soup. If desired, tie them in a muslin bag, and remove them all at once from soup, before serving.

Garnish: 1 carrot, grated. Chopped parsley

Heat the oil in a large soup pot. Saute the carrots, onion, celery, garlic and veggie pepperoni or ham for about 5 minutes over medium heat. Add the remaining ingredients, cover and bring to a boil.

Reduce heat to low and simmer,covered for 2 hours, stirring occasionally to keep soup from sticking. Soup will be thick but add a bit more water if necessary, for desired consistency.

Garnish each serving with grated carrot and chopped parsley and serve.

No comments:

Twitter