Feb 27, 2008

Soups

I have been really enjoying soups lately, and bonus, I haven't burned any yet. Here are two that I am going to try. I made the first one for my lunch (I added a little veg bullion and 1/4 cup of leftover veg chili before I took it off, but I don't think it is necessary.) The other I will probably make tomorrow. I have to say, I love the tomato one, I can see it as a base for all kinds of ideas. It would be fabulous with a few macaroni noodles thrown in.

Quick Homemade Tomato Soup

17 min | 3 min prep | SERVES 4

1 medium diced onion
1 teaspoon corn oil
1 (27 ounce) can diced tomatoes
3/4 cup water
1/2 tablespoon brown sugar
1 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon black pepper

Heat oil in soup pot over medium heat.
Add onion and allow to sweat for 5-6 minutes.
Add can of tomatoes, water, brown sugar, salt and and pepper.
Check for personal taste on salt and pepper and add more if you wish.
Bring to boil and turn down.

** At this time I use my immersion blender to puree the soup a bit. If you don't have one, you can pop it in your regular blender, of if you like it chunky, do not do this step**.
Allow to simmer for 5 minutes.
Garnish with (vegan) sour cream, chives or croutons.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Creamy Potato Soup

Ingredients:

2 tablespoons of oil
1 med. chopped onion
2 large or 3 med. potatoes
3 1/2 cups of water
3 1/2 teaspoons of veggie better than bouillon
2 tablespoons flour mixed with 1/4 cup of water
12 oz of soy or rice milk
bacos (optional)
green onions (optional)

Heat the oil in a pan over medium heat, once heated add onions. Cook until they are tender. Add potatoes, water and bouillon. Bring to a boil and cook until potatoes are tender.
Next stir in the water/flour mixture then the rice/soy milk and heat.

No comments:

Twitter