Nov 3, 2005

Home Again

I am back my friends and there were many ups and downs and more adventures to add to this fiasco of a move. But as I suspected, the end was worth the pain of getting here. I missed you and every day, I thought of things that would be funny to share with you. But alas, that time has passed and the amusing antecdotes seem to have slipped away from me. Perhaps later, I will remember some bits to share with you but for now, I will just tell you about today.

It is Thursday afternoon and I have been here about a week. I stand at my kitchen sink and watch the white caps on the waves and listen to the roar of the wind as blows across the ocean. I love it here. I love the peacefulness. I love that any time of day I may get a call or a knock on my door of some relative who just wanted to stop by for a minute or who just wanted to chat. I love that my Little Princess runs through the "forest" in our front yard. Which is really just a stand of 35 trees in front of my house. I love to watch her running through her grandparents yard, chasing their dog, playing catch and picking flowers. There are downsides to living next door to Grandpa Grumpy but watching him melt into little puddles as he laughingly sneaks her grapes at the grocery store makes it all worthwhile. Having Grandma Great call me to ask me if I would like a little fish since Prince Charming hates it and I won't cook it is awesome.

It is remote here and the pace of life is slow. It feels a little like the lazy hazy days of summer with much colder weather. Here even the cloudy days have silver linings and even bad news comes as kites with tails of good news attached.

Every day I stand and look at the ocean across my backyard and I feel the strongest sense of peace I have ever felt. It is rainy and cold (and I suspect even snowing) outside but I am happy because I am home. My home is beautiful and I am proud of it for the first time in my life. At any moment anyone can come to my house and go through every room but the storage room and find it neat and in order, even my bedroom. I am contented in a way I have never been before and it feels great. I know there there are downsides to living so far away from things but here I feel like I can face whatever storms that are ahead. Here, I feel at peace. Here my Little Princess is happy and safe and carefree. And for today, that is all that I want or care about.

No comments:

Twitter