Sep 30, 2005

Flashback Friday

Flashback Friday

I was challenged by Karin to do a Flashback Friday post about a job I used to have. It is tough to narrow it down, because, I have had a LOT of jobs.

My first job was when I was in high school. I used to deliver the newspapers. The town I lived in was a small town sprawled out around a harbour. I remember dragging that heavy bag filled with big thick newspapers all around the harbour. Trudging from door to door dropping off papers and my shoulder killing me from the weight of the bag. But when I went to the new store in town, I remember feeling so proud as I bought myself a pair Levi's red tab jeans, a raisins sweatshirt, and a track suit. My parents never bought "cool" clothes for me and my job was a ticket into the land of "cool" clothes the other kids had.

Before I went to college I used to be a cake decorator. I took great pride in my work. I remember standing looking at the display case and the end of the day and feeling a wonderful sense of accomplishment. I dreaded holidays, on holidays it was always a race against the clock. I would come in and line up the holiday cake orders I had and then I would do the first batch 5 at a time all lined up along the counter. I would cut, fill, and decorate each one hurrying to make sure that they were done before the time on the order form. I remember going in to the store to get coffee one evening and the girls were all in a panic. They had given someone the wrong cake and now there was someone coming to get a cake that wasn't there. So, I told them to relax, and I went into the kitchen. I removed the writing from the cake in the back that was no longer being picked up, and I put it into the display case for someone else to buy. Then I set to work and made another one for the order before going home. I remember my boss calling me in just to make one special ordered cake on more than one occasion. That was fun, because I got to have the fun of cake decorating without the responsibility of doing all the cleanup and stuff.

After college I went to work as an office administrator. And while I have lots of stories to go along with that. I have gone on and on long enough and I know that some of you out there in cyberland are yawning and rubbing your eyes and asking yourselves, "Are we done yet?" So I am going to stop reminiscing and thank you for listening to me remember some happy times.

No comments:

Twitter