Mar 12, 2011

Conversation with Princess Belle:


Belle: Look mom, I made a paper doll and he is dancing. He is always dancing.

Me: Cool. Umm . . . he has a hole in his head.

Belle: Yup, and he is always dancing.

Me: Of course he is dancing, his brain fell out, he is always happy and so he is always dancing.

Belle: Giggle. Nooooo, they took out his brain so that they could take away his autism and stuff and then put it back. Wouldn't that be nice?

Me: Yeah, wouldn't that be nice? Actually on second thought, no I wouldn't like you to have that surgery. I think you are special just the way you are and I wouldn't want to take away the autism and then change who you are.

Belle: What do you mean?

Me: You are fun and creative and musical and I would be afraid that taking away the autism would change any part of that. You are special and perfect just the way you are. Well, maybe not perfect, perfect people wouldn't wake up their sisters at 5 o'clock in the morning, but you are special.

Belle: *Giggle* Okay *Happily dances off with her paper doll with the hole in his head.*




#Autism

1 comment:

Marie said...

BEAUTIFUL post! Perfect! I've got to remember to have a similar conversation with my son who is dyslexic. His confidence has been injured at times and this would certainly help to encourage him.
I'm visiting with the Blog Walk, and I'm following you with networked blogs, GFC, and I've liked you on FB.
Hope you'll do the same for me :-)
http://www.ourbestdaze.blogspot.com

Twitter