Jul 18, 2006

Body Image-Shmody Image

I saw the most amazing blog today and it got me thinking. What is it about us women and our body image?? I know that some guys have body image issues but almost every woman I know hates some part of her body.

I have spent my whole life hating my body and abusing it in some way. I have struggled with eating disorders, I have worn the hugest most shapeless clothes I could find and I have been that hideous whale bursting out of her too tight jeans. One thing I have come to realize is that if I had just stopped and appreciated my body for what it was, I wouldn't have lost and gained and gained more weight, and I wouldn't have had so much to lose this time.

The supermodel who eats lettuce and Evian hates her knees. The movie star who makes a fortune in selling her image, hates her nose. So many people feel the need to hide, disfigure or disguise their bodies in some way. Why?

You don't seen middle-aged George down at the beach hiding beneath his blanket because he has a spare tire around the middle. You don't see a toddler covering up their head because they haven't grown hair yet. We should be like that. We should be able to enjoy our life no matter what bodyshape we happen to journeying through it in.

Why do we hate our bodies?? Why can't we appreciate the wonderful, beautiful creations that they are. As women we have the most amazing gift of being able to bring life into this world. That experience should change us, mark us in some way. These stretchmarked, saggy breasts and bellies are not hideous scars to deny and to hide from the world. They are badges of honour. I had the wonderful priveledge of bringing my beautiful little princess into the world. She is a gift that I am grateful for every day. If I am grateful for her, how can I regret the changes she produced in my body. I do not have ugly breasts and belly. I have mommy breasts, and I have a mommies belly. As much weight as I lose and am continuing to lose, I will always carry the rememberances of her birth with me in a visible way. I refuse to be ashamed of them.

I love my baby and so I guess I love all the changes she brought to my life as well.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

I don't understand this either. I've lost 40 pounds, and I'm a size 8 and I still see "fat girl" in the mirror. I just wish that I could be happy with myself. Sigh. I'm working on it. I just lost 3 % of my body fat in the last 4 weeks, and I keep telling myself I can see the difference!

Anonymous said...

That is a great site!

Anonymous said...

I constantly struggle with this too. It eats me up inside. With me, I can't diet alone. If I don't exercise, I won't lose weight. There are those peroids of time in life that are so hectic that I don;t exercise and all I eat is crap. That's what I'm trying to rebound from now...and I go on a beach vacation in a week. Ugh. Bathing suit shopping was NO fun!

Anonymous said...

perfectly said. thank you.

Anonymous said...

I agree, I just wish my brain would catch on. I struggle with this so much it hurts. I am glad to see there are some that can overcome it. I hope it will eventually rub off on me and that I will get a sense of what my true beauty is.

You are an inspiration!

Twitter