Jul 2, 2010

Redneckville

You know how Jeff Foxworthy has those You Might be a Redneck if . . . jokes? Well, I find those jokes hilarious because I live in my own little corner of Redneckville, Newfoundland. Let me tell you about my little small town.
  • Our taxi company is Ken who lives down the road and he refuses long fares so that he can be around town for anyone else who needs him.
  • When giving directions to our house we include the phrase "Our driveway is right across the road from that broken down pickup truck'"
  • Every corner store in town sold out of fireworks in a couple of hours on Canada Day.
  • On nice days, you can see everyone from teenage boys to old men and women driving their quads to the corner store and the one and only takeout/video store.
  • People turn up at your door because Agnes down at the store told them you might be moving.
  • Everybody I know has a picture of their child wearing Pop's rubber boots
  • kids play in handmade sandboxes with actual shovels and rakes
  • An introduction frequently includes answering the question, "Who do you belong to?"
  • Directions anywhere include such things as "Go past where the old hair salon used to be and turn right at the old school, drive to old Uncle Tom's Rubix Cube and then go three houses past where the old shed burned down and you are there. You can't miss it."
  • Backyards contain such things as old tires, lobster traps, several old cars, two or three sheds, and old lumber that might come in handy some day.
Those are just a few of the things that come to mind when I think of my little corner of Redneckville, Newfoundland.





2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I live in a small town too and it can be a great thing--since we have six kids, everyone in the kids school knows us and wants to play at our house. Plus you have all of those neighbors to look after you (sometime they look too much and too hard though). Great post--got a good laugh!

Kelly said...

Haha this is too funny! I'm sure I could come up with stuff like that for this tiny, middle-of-nowhere town I moved to.

Twitter