- Do some back to homeschool shopping, let her choose a backpack, for when we study on the outside our house, also get some pencils, notebooks and other school supplies that are usually on sale at this time of year. Let her choose a lunch box in which to pack field trip lunches. She was in public school before and she might even want to pack lunch somedays even when we are just eating at home. Those school supplies are a traditional ritual, and there is no reason for homeschooled kids to miss out on them.
- Choose a few decorations that fit our school curriculum-borders, posters and so on. Get Princess Belle to make some as well. Decorate one area of our house with previews of the coming year.
- Let Princess Belle help plan our curriculum. She has things she wants to learn about in music, and she has ideas for field trip.
- Let her catch me making things for school that I try to hide, saying they are a surprise for school. Make big plans for the first day of school-special lesson plans, a big craft, lunch out or whatever makes it fun.
- Plan favorite meals for breakfast, lunch and dinner the first day.
- Go somewhere in the afternoon, such as library time--it is practically empty!
- Take a family portrait for our Family Homeschool Yearbook
Aug 21, 2009
First day of Homeschool Ideas
I have been obsessing a little on the upcoming school year and how it will have changed for me. Here are some ideas I have heard about that I really like: