Feb 12, 2007

Random Collection of thoughts

Diet

I feel pretty motivated today. I am hoping to be able to get some exercise squeezed in among all the cleaning I have to do today. I am really working hard to keep track of how much I am eating as well. I gained some weight in the two weeks following going vegetarian and I now I am working on getting it off again.

I have to go get breakfast now, I am making Quinoa with soy milk, splenda and raisins. Along with a nice cup of coffee, it is a pretty satisfying breakfast. I am thinking of making roast vegetable for my supper tonight. I have some root vegetables and that sounds yummy to me, but I am not sure yet. I am not a good food planner.

Movies

Do you like sad endings in movies? If the main character dies in the end, is the movie ruined for you? Prince Charming HATES it when a main character dies in the end of a movie. We just watched a movie in which I feel that the main character dying was justified and heroic and I really liked the movie. He is disgusted. There is an cloud of frustration, wasted time and disgust hanging over his head and he searches the television to find something to watch to take his mind off this horrible ending he has been forced to endure. Me? I liked it a lot. I don't always mind if the main character dies in the end. Guys . . . if Harry Potter dies in the end of the series of movies, I am going to have to hide all my Harry Potter movies. I swear. Otherwise passersby outside my door may be hit by flying dvds being thrown out the window.

I was so upset

I saw the worst thing last night. I was watching that cooking show, The Iron Chef (the american version). The secret ingredient was chocolate and I figured that I could enjoy it vicariously and anything with chocolate couldn't be bad, right?

I was wrong! It started out well. It was a wonderful medley of white chocolate, dark chocolate, milk chocolate and chocolate nibs. I was in chocolate heaven, when the host, Alton Brown, comments that the lobster down there wasn't very happy. The camera pans over just in time to see the chef rip a live lobster in half. He threw the tail in the pot and left the upper half of the lobster wriggling around on the counter. It was horrible. I just kept thinking how awful it must be to be ripped in half like that. I mean killing an animal is one thing. But to see half a lobster wriggling on the counter . . . . it was horrid. I was actually in tears. Prince Charming's father is a fisherman and Prince Charming was telling me that Lobsters can live without their tails and not to be so upset. He tried, God Bless his little heart, but I don't know if I will ever get that image out of my head.

So Completely Sad

I just read this article that was so sad and real and true. It is a collection of letters written from a woman who discovers she had cancer shortly after her child is born. It has torn my heart in two and I just had to share it with you. Be warned, it is heartwrenching.




5 comments:

Kim Ayres said...

I still find it odd that you put on weight when becoming vegetarian. The only thing I can think of is that protein tends to fill you up more for longer, so you're less likely to snack. However, in the long term it can be a very healthy way to eat.

Although my wife and I aren't veggies, she was for many years and we still eat a predominantly veggy diet.

Twisted Cinderella said...

The only thing I can think of is that it was my bodies way of reacting to the drastic change in eating. I had changed my diet several times in the last few months trying to find a diet that would fit in with my working (thank god that is over). The last diet I was on before I just decided to become a vegetarian and concentrate on being healthy was Atkins. The change from mainly meat to no meat at all is probably what caused my body to react that way. I am not panicking. The way I figure it, I am eating very low fat, no meat, high fibre diet, with amounts guided by the food pyramid. I can't possibly gain weight for good that way. And this week, I lost a little again.

Unknown said...

i love the new blog and its so much easier to read... :o)

i hate seeing things like that on iron chef, they had huge crabs a few weeks ago and did the same thing - i wish they would leave some things to your imagination...

and i don't mind if the main character dies in a movie or book - haven't they said that harry potter will die in the last book? should be interesting, guess we'll see in july when the new book comes out...

Melli said...

ACK! You are having a very sad and blue DAY today, huh? Well... I don't mind a sad ending to a movie IF it's the kind of movie that can withstand a sad ending. I absolutely LOVE the movie Brian's Song - about football player, Brian Piccolo and his best friend Gale Sayers. That is a touching and heart-wrenching story - but Brian did die ... and it's sad! And you are MEANT to feel sad at the end. But if a main character is just killed off for grins and giggles - NO! I'm not into that!

As for the lobster on Iron Chef... I'm pretty sure that I would find that quite disturbing, and this is one of the reasons I don't watch tv. They really didn't NEED to show that. The show would have been just FINE without that particular segment. The chef could have simply added a lobster tail without ANY drama at all and the show would have survived. But PEOPLE WANT TO SEE THAT -- and so they put it in. Because things like that DRAW an audience. Acts like that get people to TALK ABOUT the show... and it increases their ratings. And... it worked! You blogged it! Right? LOL! How many people read your blog every day and never comment? Now... how many of them that might have NEVER watched Iron Chef before will say "Hmmm... I wanna see that! This guy's crazy." ... or whatever their reason! It's a gimmick.

And now I'm off to read the link you left... and probably cry.

Margaret said...

Hi there! I like your new site. Well, find out what works for you. I know that when I diet - carbs, even good ones from veggies and fruits do me in.

Then I deal with the plateau and that is difficult. I started changing diets around week to week. I'm only loosing about 1 lb a week but slowly and surely - it will come off. I do one week Atkins, another low calorie, another no fat and then one week just maintaining. A free for all.

It keeps the skinny ones in the family sane. =O) Take care.

Twitter