May 2, 2012

Vegan Almond Parmesan and food thoughts

I have been feeling really good with my plan to get back to healthy eating.  I am doing pretty well and I am being relaxed about it.  I don’t make it a regimental way of eating.  I enjoy my food.  Here is my basic idea:
  • avoid animal products
  • lower my fat intake (try to keep it healthy sources like olives, nuts, avocados and seeds.
  • make fruits and veggies my main food source
  • try to get things that have been as unprocessed as possible most of the time.
I do like the cheese flavor and I am always up for trying new sources for that taste and I came across this recipe today that I would like to try.

Vegan Almond “Parmesan”
soy-free and gluten-free*
Makes about 3/4 cup
1/2 cup slivered almonds (the ones without the skins)
1/4 cup nutritional yeast
1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
a small amount of olive oil, optional
1/4 to 1/2 teaspoon salt, to taste

I use my small food processor to make this. I think it holds 3 cups. Put the almonds, yeast, and garlic powder in the food processor. Pulse until it looks like a grain. I add a drizzle of olive oil and processor more until the granules became very small (note: pic is zoomed in).Taste, add salt, blend – repeat until it’s just the way you like it. I like to make mine very salty because I use the mixture instead of salt in recipes.Honestly, you want it to look like that Parmesan grated topping you used as a kid. Store any leftovers in the fridge.

Use these DIY Vegan Almond “Parmesan” Sprinkles to make a quick and simple pasta dish. Simply cook up some whole wheat angel hair pasta, toss it with some olive oil and a few tablespoons of finely chopped herbs, and a handful of the Vegan Almond “Parmesan” Sprinkles. I often use a combination of oregano, thyme, parsley, and rosemary. But really I just grab whatever I have the most of in the garden. Make sure to top with some coarse black pepper to give that extra kick.

Remember, you’ll get culinary bonus points for trying something new ; )

No comments:

Twitter