Oct 8, 2009

Thursday Thoughts

There are days when we have a rough start to our homeschooling day or when she is particularly tired and restless that I wonder if I am doing the right thing for my girl. Not so much if the school is a better place for her, her teachers, her Principal, Prince Charming and even Princess Belle herself all agree that the school environment is not the best place for her. But I am sometimes scared that I am going to screw this up, that I am not going to do it right. I just want so badly to do right by her.

Then there are days like today when things go so well, and she is happily working away on her science project, skipping back and forth to show me what she has accomplished and when we have to search high and low to find her science and social studies text books because she has been reading them in her spare time and I am so happy to be doing this. I am so glad that I get to foster that love of learning. I have never seen her take such joy in learning new things before. She comes up to me with shows she wants to see because she can learn about things while she watches them, she has projects she wants to try, she takes time from playing and watching tv and doing other things to read text books and plan for things she wants to try later.

On those days I know that however tired I get, no matter how hard it is for me sometimes doing this while caring for her sister and being 6 1/2 months pregnant, I am doing right by her. I remind myself that this is the only year I will be pregnant and homeschooling and this is the only year I will be homeschooling with a toddler and a newborn. When we make it through this year, I will never be doing this as tired as I am now. And I remind myself how lucky I am that I get to see those lightbulb moments when she finally gets a hard concept, or when she is taking pride in her work, or when I say she did something well and her face lights up and she hugs me. I would never give up those moments and certainly not for extra sleep and more time!

3 comments:

Julie said...

All homeschool moms have those days, when they wonder if they are going to mess their kids up... I know I do! ... Just tell yourself that YES, you are doing the right thing!

http://scrapgrrl.com

Emily said...

Yes, it's probably a lot of stress. It sounds like Princess Belle is really thriving and you are doing an amazing job! I really admire you.

Lisa @ Boondock Ramblings said...

You are doing a great job. And I think you are doing the right thing. One day at a time...one step at a time!

Twitter