Jun 28, 2006

The Perfect Alarm Clock

If (as I mentioned yesterday) my alarm each morning is the scary sound of my child rustling in the kitchen, I have found the perfect alarm for those rare occasions that she sleeps in.

See, harkening back to the SIDS days, I have always felt a little panic when she sleeps longer than normal. I start to think crazy thoughts and I have an overwhelming urge to go in and make sure she is just sleeping. I know, I am a crazy, paranoid princess but what can I say, I lost my mind when I had a baby and I haven't been able to get it back since.

So, getting back to this perfect alarm clock . . . popcorn! This morning, she slept in. And getting on towards 10:30 the paranoid mommy in me started screaming at me to wake her up. But if you have ever woken a 4 year old little princess from a deep sleep you will know that this is not a pretty picture. She grumbles, complains, and cries. It isn't worth my peace of mind. So this morning, I decided to make a treat for her. It is payday and we are going shopping for groceries and all that fun and uninteresting stuff and to celebrate, I put on popcorn, something she LOVES but never gets in the mornings. And before the microwave had a chance to finish popping it, she was trudging down the stairs, hair sticking out at odd angles, nightdress tucked into her underpants, and eyes still half closed but still with a HUGE GRIN. She smelled popcorn and that was all she needed to know.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Awwww, I'll have to try that sometime when my son won't wake up!

Anonymous said...

there is always, always room for popcorn.

great way to start the day...

Anonymous said...

stoppin by

Anonymous said...

If I manage to sleep until 9 without waking up because no one has made noise, I'm always convinced that everyone in the house is probably dead or something. Then I move a little and the dog starts making noise so I figure everything must be all right...lol!

Twitter